CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgiving with my Momma!







This was an extra special Thanksgiving for me this year. We had Thanksgiving with my Mom and my stepfather, Tom! So what makes this so special? Well, I haven't had Thanksgiving with my Mom since I was 17. Yes, 32 years have gone by without being with my Mom. I remember in the beginning it was truly unbearable to be without her. Oh, the tears that I shed..... I married soon after high school and Mr. Nanny just happens to be from Oklahoma, where his family's' tradition runs deep! We also lived within 3 hours of his parents and Mom was in Florida. So it was great tradition that all of Mr. Nanny's family would get together and the women would cook, the men would hunt, and the children would play. Years went by and the male children started hunting and the girls would help in the kitchen. This was the way that it was and we never considered another option. Last year was the first year we didn't go to Oklahoma. Things change.......the children now are married with their own children. The distance is greater than 3 hours. They have in-laws that would like to see them (mostly the babies). Mr. Nanny and I decided that we wouldn't start the Thanksgiving tradition at our house because our kids do have in-laws and this definitely makes things easier for them to not have to be everywhere. We get together with our kids almost every week. But, most importantly, I missed my Mom! My mom has always been a mom and a best friend. I never wanted to disappoint her and I still don't. I just love being in her presence. Spending time with her I'm in awe that she is 72! She does not look 72! She has never looked her age, always a beauty and boy, was I ever so proud to call her my Mom! She is a woman of strength, that's where I get mine. A woman of faith, I watched her pray a lot when my 3 siblings and I were teenagers! My mother was born to nurture! I witnessed this once again when we had to run into town before we had our Thanksgiving meal to take food to an elderly lady who doesn't have anyone. She is a customer of my mothers and she is all alone. So I guess to sum it all up....I am my Mother's child! We used to finish each other's sentences, share clothes and hang out on dateless weekends together watching TV, playing cards or coloring with paint pens (yes, it really is an adult thing)! I knew that someday when I had a daughter I wanted to have that same special relationship with her that I had with my mother. I think I accomplished this because Chrissy and I are inseparable! Now how about some pictures of that hot great-grammy and our ever so handsome PaPa Tom........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My darling daughter! Well I just had a good cry.You are and alway's have been a very special daughter,and I have been very proud of you.I felt so alive when you were here.Kiss all my little one's for me.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say I love you soooooooooo much!!!!!